Alyson's Reviews > The Host

bookshelves: 2008, fiction, 2010, dystopia
Recommended for: Anyone who likes Stephenie Meyer, or fantasy
Read in April, 2010, read count: 2

Edit 2010:
Just read this again, while sitting beside my nauseated four-year-old. It does build slowly; it took me months to get through the first part. But once Wanderer entered the desert I couldn't put it down, and read it in a couple of days. Good plot, good characters. Last time I saw it mostly as a standalone; this time, I find myself really wanting to know what happened next.

Original 2008 review:
I quite enjoyed this book. It was no Twilight—or, there was no male character I wanted to corporealize and marry. It didn't grip me the same way at first. But I believe it probably is the better book.

I'll say this about Stephenie Meyer: she may take a little while to build up her plot, but when it hits it's like a freight train; the force is irresistible, and the pages fly with the speed as it passes. The plots are always good, gripping, filled with action when they emerge.

Some of the twists I saw before I even got to the bend; others hit me like a sledgehammer—set up beautifully, but somehow I hadn't seen them coming. Best example of that is the Seeker. Doy, of course. But I didn't think of it until Lacey said it. It was wonderful to be inside Wanderer's head (because again, she's no Bella—fewer flaws and things to bug even the most devoted reader), and I loved seeing the other characters through her eyes.

It was several evenings pleasantly spent. I'm actually quite sure I'll enjoy it even more in a future reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.