Julie's Reviews > A Fine Balance

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Jun 17, 12

Read from May 19 to June 14, 2012

4.5 /5
Just finished and feeling a bit stunned. Amazing how history in other countries passes you by even more than that of our own. So well written, I really cared about the characters. Without wishing to give too much away that made it hard reading in places. At a talk at the Hay Festival last week I learnt Rohinton Mistry's work had been removed from the syllabus at Delhi University as it was 'not suitable'
I had no idea about the 'Emergency' or the other dreadful programmes outlined here.
Definately one to read. I would read another book by this author but will need something light hearted first!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fine Balance.

05/27/2012 page 148
25.0% "I'm really enjoying this lovely book. Descriptions that set the screen in my head to HD. Surely it cant be as bleak as the reviews state? ........"
06/13/2012 page 452
75.0% "Everyone is a bit too settled at the moment, I almost dread reading on ......"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise Edwards I hope you love this as much as Chris and I did.

Julie Just started A Fine Balance. A lot of people have been going on about 50 shades of Grey. I was going to read that but having read a couple of reviews now it looks as over hyped as One Day so I think I will ignore it for a while and read this one.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Edwards Prepare to despair! ( but in a good way)

Julie It's wonderfully descriptive, the screen in my head is in HD. Having now read a few reviews about how sad it is I am torn between reading on and waiting til i am in the mood !

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Edwards Continue to read. It is desperately sad and yet wonderful. Everyone at our reading group was deeply moved by this book.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise Edwards Glad you enjoyed it!