Katie's Reviews > Silver Girl

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

May 04, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

OK, first of all, I am a total snob because I didn't want to like this book, because I could tell immediately it was a total beach read, chick lit type of book. But then I ended up liking it--shame on me and my snobbery! However, I was right about one thing, and that's that it really seems aimed at a traditional, upper-middle-class, conformist type of reader, particular a female reader. There were a couple places in the book where really antifeminist things were said (at least I thought) and just treated like they were normal and expected, and I really didn't like that. But I kept reading... and reading... because I got really caught up in the story.

What's it about? Oh--maybe I should say something about that. It's a story of two old women friends who had a falling out, and they are both going through their own personal crises. One friend's husband caused a huge financial meltdown and she is also under suspicion of being involved, and the other is still emotionally recovering from the death of her husband several years prior. Enter a handsome widower, an old flame, etc., and the story takes off.

The backstory behind the title also made me like the book more (I won't spoil you on it completely, but I will say it's a song lyric). Although I adore the song, it's been playing nonstop in my head since I read the book and it's starting to drive me a little batty!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Girl.