Alessandra Ebulu's Reviews > The Golden Scarab

The Golden Scarab by S.W. Lothian

May 04, 12

Read in May, 2012

JJ and his friend Linc, are appealed to by the Egyptian god Anubis to save the world. They travel to Ancient Egypt where they are teamed up with Rani and together all three are given instructions about their mission: stop the Egyptian god Seth from getting his evil powers and controlling all of Egypt, and subsequently, the rest of the world. Together, we race with the young heroes, hoping that they would succeed in their quests. Their enemy is powerful, and there are minions who do his bidding and whose job it is to stop the three from completing the quest. Fortunately, the young heroes have powerful allies as well, and we read this new take on the battle between good and evil, and we are able to witness the benefits of courage, teamwork and perseverance.
Any story that is directed to a young audience has to have certain elements to ensure that it is a success and a major element is the language. S. W. Lothian succeeded brilliantly with that as the language he used is simple and easy to understand. Those who pick up this book will have no problem with comprehension, which is a good thing when one is writing a children’s story.
Also, the author’s use of action and the fast paced tone of the story is a definite plus. It means that the audience would not get bored, and would therefore stay interested in discovering exactly what happened with the heroes and finding out how easy it was for them to complete their mission.
Another thing that is worthy of note, and which should be applauded is way the author educates his audience about Egyptian mythology. Readers would be enlightened about Egypt, without feeling like they are reading an academic piece, which is definitely what the any audience, but especially the young audience would appreciate.
I really did enjoy the read, and I am looking forward to reading more of the advantages of JJ, Linc and Rani.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Scarab.