Kathrynn's Reviews > An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It

An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore

Sep 09, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction-general, 2008, reviewed, own
Recommended for: All Human Beings
Read in September, 2008

I enjoyed reading Mr. Gore's slide show about global warming, the causes, and seeing the before and after pictures of various parts of the world was truly amazing. I would like to have seen a month with the years that the pictures were taken, though. I thought the information was presented in a clear, concise manner. I learned a lot more about global warming. The presentation clearly shows "we" have a problem and if "we" don't wake up real quick and do something about the planet "we" will be leaving a mess for our future generations.

This is a quick book to read, a lot of full color before and after pictures of various parts of the world, satellite imagery, etc. There are a few short stories about Mr. Gore's life: when he was younger, with his wife as newlywed's, about his dad (Al Gore, Sr), the accident involving his son when he was young and I enjoyed reading them.

There is a section involving hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones (with lots of pictures) and information showing how the warmer oceans are generating more powerful and frequent storms. Pictures explaining the ocean currents, heavy salt in the Atlantic that acts as a pump now slowing down, corral reefs, ice caps on mountains (before and after), homes up north built on permafrost--now melted. Extinction. At the end, there are suggestions and websites for alternative sources of energy. Clearly, we have the ability to use the alternative energy sources: wind, hydro, geothermal, corn oil, sewage, etc and we need to encourage our leaders to shift to these before it is too late.

Numerous quotes by Winston Churchill and Mark Twain that I enjoyed.

Here's one: "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." by Mark Twain

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Inconvenient Truth.