Kat's Reviews > Barefoot in the Park

Barefoot in the Park by Neil Simon

May 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, plays, romantical
Read from May 04 to 08, 2012

Basic Plot: Paul and Corie are two newlyweds trying to figure each other out and make their brand-new marriage work despite their personal differences.

This play was cute, but is getting to be considerably dated. As it was first performed in 1963 (and was written for that time period), I think that marriage is a bit different today. Paul and Corie hardly seem to know what they've gotten into by marrying each other. Paul is shocked by Corie's adventurousness, and she is annoyed by his conservatism. I can't help but think that today, people getting married seem to have a much better idea of what they are getting into when they marry. Why is this an issue? Well, as a theatre person who would theoretically be seeking to put on the show, I would have trouble getting my actors to connect to the character interactions. The cast and I would then have trouble selling it to an audience who doesn't operate this was anymore and doesn't have the benefit of weeks of getting used to the ideas the director bashes into the heads of the actors. Considering my acting pool is a bunch of teenagers, this is doubly hard. Corie is a housewife and happy in that position. The big lesson of the play is that she needs to try to take care of her husband and make him happy. Now, I agree with this, but as one side of a two-sided coin that involves BOTH spouses taking care of each OTHER and making EACH OTHER happy. The funniest moments in the play involve Paul being drunk, and most of the other funny moments relate to other characters drinking/being drunk. This is fine for adults, but at the high school level isn't entirely appropriate. Overall it's not bad, but I don't know that it's a show I'd ever actually seek to put on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barefoot in the Park.

05/04/2012 page 36