Michelle's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

May 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from May 04 to 15, 2012

A massive ghost uprising has changed the modern world as we know it, and opened up the use of magic. Gone are the mysteries of death and religion. Now it's up to Chess and the other church witches to save civilization and keep the dead dead.

This book has a wonderfully gritty, post-apocalyptic setting that resembles our modern world, yet maintains an eerie dissimilarity. The premise, too, is interesting. People live in fear of newly awakened ghosts and look to the new church to keep them safe. The creepy setting, the shady characters, and the action all combine to make this a compelling read.

Unfortunately, I hated the main character. I pitied her for her terrible childhood and her compulsive drug usage, but she was so odious that, by the end, I almost wished she was another casualty. She occasionally acts altruistically, but she has such a 'screw you' attitude that it was impossible to bond with her. I read to the end, hoping for some redemption, but there was none to be had. In fact, her treatment of certain characters became worse and not better.

As much as I enjoyed certain elements of this book, I'm not sure that I'll continue the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

05/10/2012 page 100
05/10/2012 page 100
29.0% "Wow! This book is good but kind of shocking. Kind of like Stephen King meets Richelle Meade."
05/14/2012 page 280
83.0% "I'm at the point where I don't want to stop reading, lol."
show 2 hidden updates…