Jenn's Reviews > Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas

Chuck Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman

May 07, 2012

Read from May 04 to 06, 2012

I bumped into a Chuck Klosterman article linked to a Kurt Loder tweet about bands like Nickelback and Creed, who, despite their obvious massive success, people openly love to hate. I adored the little quips in his article and was surprised to find in his bio that he'd written so much prior to it and that I'd never heard of him.

I am now on a mission to read the entire Klosterman catalog.

I'm about a third through this book and only now do I wish I'd started noting some of the phrases that captured my attention, so I'll start now:

"If you can't find a reason to hate Disneyland, you're just not trying."

While the first section of the book was interesting, I really enjoyed the middle section, which included quite a bit of social commentary. I agree with the idea behind Klosterman's Johnny Carson being the last real pop culture icon universal. I dug the essay that compared two rock deaths that had opposite effects. I'm also with Klosterman's assessment about the Olympics. There's something in this man's writing that I find deep and true and at some point, I'll re-read. The only Klosterfuck I've noted is that the man is far into KISS and doesn't seem too taken with NIN. He even mentioned that Barry Manilow once told him that NIN had no soul. (There's a joke in that statement that I can't seem to pull out on my own.)

Most of the most thought-provoking writing came from a column in Esquire Magazine. Why is the really good journalism always in the men's magazines? Argh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chuck Klosterman IV.