Laurian's Reviews > I See You Everywhere

I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass

May 07, 12

bookshelves: girlie, fiction
Read from May 04 to 06, 2012

Sadly, this was a book given to me almost 4 years ago that I still hadn’t read. One year Edgardo, my loving husband, told people that if they wanted to get me a gift for my birthday to get me a copy of their favorite book. I read many of them years ago, but I still have a small stack left to read. This was one of them that I had been putting off because it looked so... middle-age-ladyish. That isn’t to say that middle-age-ladyish books aren’t good, just that they tend to be romantic and about the beach. It is the same reason I don’t read anything by Nicholas Sparks - not that the books aren’t good, just that they look so much about things that aren’t real to me.

Anyway - less about what this book isn’t and more about what it is. And, the answer to that riddle is that it was surprisingly good. I say that because I’d never even heard of Julia Glass before (pen name, I think so). Yet, the writing was clear, the characters beautiful conveyed, and there were hardly any beach scenes at all.

The book follows two sisters through about 20 years of their lives - starting when they are still in their twenties. The author switches narration between the two sisters to show how the same events can be perceived by two different people, and also how the “bonds of sisterhood” affect and echo off of each other. Basically, the book plays off of the time honored stereotype of competing sisters. One sister is an over-educated artist turned writer and the other is a rolling stone naturalist who travels the world studying animals.

While the plot is a bit cliche, it was great to see how the two people defined each other through their relationship to each other. While the characters were sisters, you saw how their interactions extended past familial relations to something special.

I don’t have a sister. I have a brother who I adore and miss too much. We didn’t compete the same way these sisters were portrayed to (e.g., for men). Yet, I still found the book lovely... if a bit like a cucumber sandwich.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I See You Everywhere.