Bonnie's Reviews > The Mirrored World

Jul 29, 14

bookshelves: historical-fiction, adult, arcs
Read from August 06 to 07, 2012

Expected Publication Date: August 28, 2012

The Mirrored World was kindly provided to me by Edelweiss for Harper.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

The Mirrored World tells the story of the life of Xenia, who later became the mysterious and holy figure St. Xenia of St. Petersburg. The story begins when she was a young child growing up in Russia, continues on with her marriage to Colonel Andrei Feodorovich Petrov, whom she loved terribly, and then her terrible grief after losing both her child and the love of her life. In order for her to come to terms with her grief she became a "holy fool" and devoted her life to caring for the poor.

It took me a good chunk of the book to really feel I had an understanding of what was going on. When you consider the synopsis, you would expect to be learning about the life of Xenia. Well, for a vast majority of the first part of the book you really didn't see a lot of her. The story is told by her cousin, Dasha, and I think that had a negative effect as I would have loved to have read this story from Xenia's point of view to better determine who she was. Maybe it was because of the lack of information known of Xenia's life but despite being an extremely short read still ended up being dreadfully dull at times and I struggled to finish. Definitely had potential but failed to impress in the long run.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirrored World.

08/06/2012
29.0% "Well. A bit dry.."