Kyle's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

May 25, 12

Read from May 20 to 23, 2012

You know, I miss the old Augusten essays that had whimsical little tales from his personal life. If you are like me, and fell in love with him through his original material, you might want to leave well enough alone.

The best analogy I can think to compare my disappointment to the book is Grey's Anatomy. You know how season one and two were fucking killer????? Then, the show took a nose dive with Izzie saving a deer and George getting flattened by a bus. Well, Augusten's work is the same to me. His earlier stuff, Running with Scissors, especially Dry, and Magical Thinking, seem to be his peak cause I don't fucking understand where he is now headed.

A self help book? Really? There wasn't even much of his style or voice. Each chapter contains a "How To Survive" title followed by a new self-serving topic he wants to explore. He crams each chapter with his definitions and stupid comparisons. I laughed out loud NONE. Basically, the chapters and content are too widespread. He wants to write on all this varying shit, but then has no real way of bringing valid personal experience to the table. I'm sorry, but how dare he think he can write on the death of a child or how it must be to lose a child, when he is fucking GAY.

I did, honwever, like the chapter regarding weight. He made a couple valid points there, but thats it. Glad there is such establishments as libraries cause this would have been a waste of money!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kayla Perry Just commented to say what does being gay have to do on whether someone knows what it's like for a child to die? Do gay people not have kids? Last I heard, that was not the case.