Eastofoz's Reviews > On the Way to the Wedding

On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: historical-regency, 2011
Recommended for: Bridgerton fans; readers who don't mind that the h/h aren't together for a while

Hmmm, hard book to rate. On the one hand it’s well written: great dialog, funny scenes, some shocker surprises, cozy Bridgerton family feel. On the other hand I didn’t like the story because in the first 200 pages nothing really happens between the h/h –that’s a lot of filler (!?!) But then maybe Quinn set up her story that way to show the hero in love with another woman and how he does everything he can to get her to notice him but she’s not all that interested, unlike her friend who’s “intrigued” we’ll say. He finally gets a clue but it’s really late in coming and their declaration of love is way too fast. They go from a passionate kiss to “I love you, marry me”. Not a fan of those stories.

Some of the past Bridgertons make an appearance. Violet stayed tried and true as the no-I’m-not-meddling mama of the bunch and Hyancinth was hilarious as the pain in the bum, but always loving, slightly older sister (than the hero). Colin, Anthony, Daphne and Kate are all there too but I’d have liked to have seen the whole clan together at the end seeing as it was the last book in the series. The epilogue was cute mind you. The side-story with the evil uncle was well-done, though it did start to border on silly caper romance toward the end. Whenever he spoke you could really feel the evil he spewed. Horrible man that one.

I think you have to like this kind of story set up to like the book. I’m giving it a four because it is really well written and it flows impressively well considering the jumps in time. Not all authors can do that with the flair that Julia Quinn can. Story-wise, it’s just not for me. The h/h aren’t together enough, there’s virtually no steam and the odd kiss here and there isn’t enough. It’s really the author’s top notch writing style that saves this story from a two star rating.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Way to the Wedding.

05/21/2011 page 1
0.0% "Finishing up the Bridgertons before the Smythe-Smiths start ;D"
05/24/2011 page 110
30.0% "No "romance" yet with the h/h. Hmmmm...." 15 comments
06/04/2011 page 110
30.0% "Here's hoping the romance gets started..." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Ally72 (last edited Jun 08, 2011 08:53PM) (new)

Ally72 Great review, East!!! I am reading Just Like Heaven right now and am so loving it. It is turning out to be one of my favorite JQ books and it definitely has a Bridgerton feel to it as well. Have you read it, yet?

Eastofoz Thanks Ally :) I'm still itching for my Smythe-Smith copy to arrive in the mail (!!) Good to hear it's got a Bridgerton feel to it :D

message 3: by Ally72 (last edited Jun 09, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Ally72 I can't wait to hear what you think of it! Colin and Gregory Bridgerton (are unmarried at the time this story takes place) even appear in the book. I stayed up too late last night to finish it and now I can't wait for JQ to write the next one. I loved it and I bet you will really like it too!!!

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review East! Guess I'll be skipping this one.

Eastofoz Ally wrote: "I can't wait to hear what you think of it! Colin and Gregory Bridgerton (are unmarried at the time this story takes place) even appear in the book. I stayed up too late last night to finish it an..."

And here I thought it'd be continuing on from the last Bridgerton story sort of. Wish my copy would hurry up and get here!!

Eastofoz AgentScully wrote: "Great review East! Guess I'll be skipping this one."

Thanks Scully :) No real 'need' to read it if you're not following the series.

message 7: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I've read #1 and have #2-4 in my TBR. That may be as far as I go though.

Eastofoz AgentScully wrote: "I've read #1 and have #2-4 in my TBR. That may be as far as I go though."

I didn't really like 1 and 2 or the last two but the middle ones are 5 star keeper shelf reads for me :)