Cataline's Reviews > To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie.

To Be Perfectly Honest by Phil Callaway

May 06, 12

bookshelves: reviews
Read from May 04 to 05, 2012

One Man’s Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie.

To be perfectly honest—who among us would take up the challenge to tell the truth, nothing but the truth for a solid 365 days? The man who did and lived to write about it is Phil Callaway. A man known for his humor and openly admitting to a need to fabricate at least a little to keep people interested makes for an absorbing read.

Honesty is always the best policy, right? What if it cost you a $1,000 to never tell a lie? Could you, would you be able to tell the absolute truth to your spouse/significant other, family and friends?

“I’m not sure how eager I would have been to sign on for a year of telling the truth if I had known how hard it would be to live without hypocrisy, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, give up my coat, do good to those who tick me off, and pick up my cross and follow Christ.”

Speaking truth on a daily basis provides Phil with numerous questions and various dilemmas. Phil openly struggles with wishing he could tell a little lie to avoid the outcome following a truthful answer. To Be Perfectly Honest is thought provoking on a multitude of diverse levels.

“I prayed that God would send salamanders to infest his bathtub, and load his mailbox with lots of letters. From the tax people.

“Lord give him jury duty.”

Is this wrong? I’m quite certain it is. But stopping is hard.”

Journal style entry makes for relaxed reading as you follow each days predicament to tell the truth or lie. The topic is honesty; however, Phil never misses a chance to insert his style of humor into the details.

A great way to judge how honest you are is to read a book about how honest another is or tries to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Be Perfectly Honest.