Caroline Wissing's Reviews > In the Body: A Collection of Short Stories and a Novella

In the Body by Allison Baggio

Oct 16, 12

Read from October 04 to 16, 2012

Allison Baggio's second book, In The Body, is a fascinating collection of short stories and a novella. Thematically drawn together by the idea of the body, how it can both support and betray us, these stories resonate with intriguing characters and situations. As the parent of teens, I felt she nailed the characterizations of both the teens and their parents in the stories Saving Katie and As She Was. Of all the stories, however, I think the most fun is Possessed, the almost-horror tale of a man who believes his transplanted heart hates him. From plastic surgery to weight loss, from illness to amputation, Baggio uses her considerable imagination to take an unflinching look at the truth and mythologies of the human body.

At various times sad and funny, creative and magical, Baggio's stories are a journey through the flesh and what makes us all human. This was a quick and very enjoyable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Body.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (new)

Steph VanderMeulen I'm so glad you liked this so much! It sounds intriguing.

Ruth Walker I remember "Spilt Milk" in LICHEN when I was one of the fiction editors. That story haunts me still. Allison is a wonderful writer.