Carol's Reviews > The Crossroads Cafe

The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith

May 21, 12

Read from May 17 to 19, 2012

This book was nothing like what I was expecting. I thought 'sweet, maybe quirky love story' but instead it was also filled with tragedies, lessons on how to rebuild your life, and arguments about why we are such a beauty-driven culture. There was one point during an especially long speech from a berry-growing, country-singing, business-savvy lesbian that I actually stopped reading, closed the book and stared at the cover, thinking: "No one in real life talks like this."

However, in spite of the speechifying, I liked the book. It's a rare book that can make me laugh while my lashes are still wet from trying not to cry. Deborah Smith created unforgettable characters and fashioned such a vivid community that I wouldn't be surprised to find it on a map somewhere.

I am definitely curious now to explore more of her books. I like my stories with more than just a 'will they or won't they' plot, but I don't appreciate being hit over the head with issues.

One other thing I wanted to add concerns the formatting for this book. I don't know if it was only an issue for the particular edition I was reading, but some of the mistakes were jarring. "Shuttered" for "Shuddered." Maybe a dozen occasions when words were left out or the wrong prepositions added in. There were also numerous times when a quotation mark was left on its own a line above or after the dialogue it was meant to contain. If the story hadn't been as good as it was, I would have tossed it aside because of the annoying typos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crossroads Cafe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Margaret I thought this was an interesting read. I'll be curious to see what you think.

Carol I have so many things on my 'to read' list it might take years before I get to it, but it was recommended by someone I trust so I'll get to it eventually. Spring Chickens first!