Steve's Reviews > The Cold Cold Ground

The Cold Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty

Jun 23, 12

Recommended for: A beach read.
I own a copy

The first in a trilogy centered around Sean Duffy. I won’t be reading the next two! A very sad and disappointing piece of work. I have read and generally liked McKinty’s prior works. It centers around two different cases. One was back to back murders of two men who were both homosexual. The other involved a woman who was found hanged and who may or may not have killed herself. I really prefer mysteries and thrillers which are good literature as well. Otherwise, they are nothing but a beach read. Consequently, this book would be great on a blanket under 90 degree heat on a beach down in Mexico. My main issue is that the dialogue is often juvenile, even though Duffy is 31 years old. There is just no subtlety nor is there much character development. McKinty said that he was trying to develop a mystery within a claustrophobic atmosphere. I would recommend Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, which also involved a murder mystery under very trying circumstances, which captured that in spades. Even as respects “the Troubles”, I think that Stuart Neville has done a better job in recent years of incorporating that more effectively into his story lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold Cold Ground.