John's Reviews > The Wicked and the Just

May 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: children-ya
Read in May, 2012

An English teenager and her father move to Wales in the closing years of the 13th century and find themselves in the midst of escalating national/racial/cultural strife. Though the theme is certainly timely and well developed and the climax, at least, properly violent and scary I was put off: first by the modern sounding idiom on the opening page---Cecily declares that her father has "ruined my life....never speak to him again" and she'll "never go to Caer-whatsit" which would be OK (I guess) if the author kept it up, but the rest of the novel is written in a formalistic way; second, Cecily is SUCH an ignorant, self-centered, arrogant little shit I found myself skipping pages because I just couldn't stand her any more despite her vague talk of "justice"; and third, since the bitter conflict between Cecily and Gwenhwyfar would have been eased in a moment had G only mentioned to C any time before page 235 that she and Gruffydd were brother and sister, taking care of their sick mother, said conflict seemed artificially generated.
Still, intense and, as mentioned, a thought provoking treatment of the general theme. I liked the thoughtful afterword, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked and the Just.