Patrice Sartor's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed In Flames

When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris

May 11, 12

bookshelves: different-culture, community-society, humor, memoir, quirky-whacked
Read from May 04 to 08, 2012

4.5 stars! Once again David Sedaris has provided me with hours of amused entertainment. I actually found the paperback in my stack of to-read books, and read a couple of chapters. I've listened to enough of Sedaris' books that I can picture his voice in my head reading the words, but I've been spoiled. His gift for storytelling is most evident when he reads the stories to you/tells them aloud. His tone of voice, inflections, pauses, accents--it's all just perfect.

Nearly all of the essays made me laugh, though some were more interesting than funny. Many were both. My favorite is probably the long section on how he quit smoking by removing himself from his environment and staying in Japan for a few months. I can now say I am a huge fan of Sedaris, his insights, and how he presents them to the world. Thank you, Mr. Sedaris, for keeping notes on your journeys and exploits so that you may share them with us. This could be my favorite audio CD of his yet. Try it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed In Flames.