Catherine Austen's Reviews > The Red Market: On the Trail of the World's Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers

The Red Market by Scott Carney

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from May 04 to July 31, 2012

This was one of the most horrifying books I've read. Egads. It's an eye-opener. It's a collection of true stories about the buying and selling of various body parts (organs, eggs, blood, bones, babies, etc.). And it's an overall look at how supply and demand influence each other and how anonymity in international "red markets," supposed to protect donors and recipients, is really only protective to those who profit from the sales - whether they're doctors expanding their lists of who qualifies for transplants or criminals engaging in truly obscene methods of finding donors. Greed is a bottomless pit.

There were some moments when I wanted to fact check some anecdotes because verified and unverified information is occasionally mixed together, but just the odd time. Overall it's a great book although certainly depressing and gruesome. Talk about bursting my middle class suburban bubble. You read some of these stories and you are outraged - and you should be outraged so that you want to change the structures that allow them to happen. Throughout the book is the message that, although the rich will exploit the poor in these markets as they do in all markets, the worst horror stories need not happen if we change the way red markets are structured to make the donors more visible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Market.