Saly's Reviews > The Winter King

The Winter King by Amanda Carpenter

3192922
May 04, 2012

bookshelves: category-romance, harlequin-presents, harlequin-silhouette, read-in-2012, blackmail
Recommended to Saly by: EeeJay
Read in May, 2012

Rating 3.5

There is something compelling about AC's writing style even if her characters especially the heroine here has a tendency to be overly dramatic and turn everything into a tragic drama. Seriously, the book was over the top so much so that I wanted to send the heroine to some therapy still I enjoyed it. She from a famous family in Hollywood and herself very succesful when at 22 she found herself drowning, losing her identity, so she ran and has lived quietly for two years.

She then returns for what she thinks is her father's career and promptly slaps the hero, the acclaimed director who she thinks is blackmailing her into coming back to act to give her father a role. Of course that is not really the case as we learn a little later since it was an attempt by her parents to bring her into the land of living. She is a great actress but she has a tendency to lose herself in the role and the hero promises her that he won't let her come to the brink.

Honestly, I found the heroine kind of immature she made every little thing out to be WWIII, so why did I still like the book you ask? The whole drama of it, sometimes I am just in the mood for melodrama. The hero is pretty great and from the start it is evident he gets her and her moods and how to get her out of them and also that he is crazy for her.

I loved how he finally got her out of her daze and come to the realization that she was crazy in love with him. You know if this book was written now, they would totally have this mad passionate relationship, with loud fights and even better make-ups, the book did have it but it would have been more explicit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter King.