Emmy's Reviews > Lying Season

Lying Season by Karina Halle

May 14, 12

bookshelves: favorites, experiment-in-terror, 1
Read from May 08 to 10, 2012

Lying Season has Perry on her way to Seattle to film for her show Experiment in Terror at an asylum. So where oh where does one stay while in Seattle? With Dex and his girlfriend Jenn of course! Oy, is that awkward as hell? I tried to stomach along with Perry that increasingly precarious arrangement.

“Yep,” I said, pulling the shoes out of the box. His brows went to the heavens.

“Wow. Those are like…Jenn shoes.”

“These are not hooker shoes,” I said defensively.

“Well played,” he said.

Not only does Perry get to meet Jenn, but pretty much all of ShowNet's employees at the holiday party.

But I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself! We have a great addition to the cast in the form of Rebecca Sims, fellow Wine Babe. The moment she was introduced, I knew I was going to like her. She's blunt but very sincere. The type of character I'm hopeful can be a great friend to Perry.

But ah ah ah! That's not all! We meet the duo who are blatantly ripping off their show idea. Slime ball male host and a very snooty female lead. Unfortunate for Dex and Perry, they cross their paths again.

The thrills only get more terrifying as the series continues. At times I'm definitely thinking "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! This can't be happening!" But it is and I admire Perry more and more for all the shit she has to go through. This installment is definitely more personal than the first three. We learn so much about these two.

“What are you saying?” I said softly.

“I’m saying that you’re like my best friend,” he said. “You are my best friend, and I could never let pills take away what makes you, you. Your heart. And your beautiful soul.”

My e-books always have a ridiculous amount of highlights and this is no different. The moments between Dex and Perry always run a wide range of emotions but the tender moments are just amazing. How two characters can be so right for each other and not be together has me on pins and needles wondering will it happen? when? please, please, please?

The ending of this book was such a shocker! I'm still kind of reeling from it! I can't say a single thing! But know I was cursing like a sailor under my breath.

Review also posted at Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lying Season.

Quotes Emmy Liked

Karina Halle
“You’re the light in all this madness. You’re my light. I should have been with you...” The thought hit him as his face crumpled in amazement. “Oh God, why am I not with you?”
“Because you’re an idiot,” I said.”

Karina Halle
“I want you to stay with me,” he said. “And that’s the problem. Every time you leave me, I need you a little bit more.”

Karina Halle
“Why are you so pissed off?" he asked, sounding genuinely surprised. Sometimes I wondered if Dex actually had any recollection of 90% of the conversations he was involved with.”

Karina Halle
“The things I want to do to you…” he whispered roughly.
I took my hand behind his head and brought his ear down to my mouth. “Do them,” I breathed back, and licked the rim of his ear.
He let out a small moan and suddenly his lips were on mine. The sweet business was out of the way.”

05/09/2012
25.0% "Perry is staying with Dex and Jen. Gah it's so uncomfortable to read!"
05/09/2012
41.0% "Creepy times! Perry finds herself in some crazy situations."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne I think I need to get this series. I've heard people gushing about the characters non-stop for a few weeks now. Sounds like my kinda series.

Emmy Do it!!! The first one may still be free for Kindle or Nook. It's so fucking good I can't take it! I totally read spoilers cuz I have to know!!! Holy shit!

I think you'll love it!

message 3: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Haha you totally knows it's an addictive series when you go spoiler hunting. I think I'll start reading it after City of Lost Souls.

Gabriella *is awesome* great review emmy !