Rose Ann's Reviews > Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, ebooks, read-in-2012, signed-books, favorites
Read in June, 2012

I don't even know where or how to start!
First, the author...what a clever, incredibley heartwarming story! Just when I think I won't find another out of ordinary story...here it is! The protagonist....an imaginary friend? How is that going to work? Well it did.
Budo was smart, clever, caring, devoted to Max (and Max's parents), but also naive, child-like, and innocent at the same time.
I absolutely adored Budo, Max's imaginary friend.

"The right thing and the easy thing are never same thing.." Loyalty, love, sacrifice.

I am so happy to have the opportunity to receive an advanced copy of this novel!! I normally do not like to read books on my laptop (I do not own a Kindle, Nook or other portable e-reader). This is the first e-book that I have read, that I have wished I owned one. I hated that I had to wait until I was at home, and not vying for the computer with my family.

How can the author make an imaginary friend so real, so likeable, and so believable? lol crazy!
Budo wanting to save Max's parents as well as saving Max.
The frustration and tension between his parents was sad. It was all just very well written. All aspects of this story. Quite a page turner!

I had so many favorite pieces in the story, I will add more later.
I think if you enjoyed ROOM, you will love this book!

Detailed info and spoilers below:

So many times, Budo's innocence made me laugh. I adored him.

**Like when Dee was in ICU. He thought she was in I SEE YOU..which he thought was "a place where they watch you carefully to make sure that you don't die." Which is true, but he didn't know that.

**Bizarre to think that I felt heartbroken for Budo...being that he is an imaginary friend and all...but I did. Especially when he made this comparison:

"I used to think that these were the three worst things in the word:
1. Tommy Swinden
2. Bonus Poops
3. Not Existing
Now I think these are the three worst things in the world:
1. Waiting
2. Not knowing
3. Not existing"

**The whole page about Max being brave, just melted my heart. (263 - ebook)

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

06/05/2012 page 23
06/06/2012 page 83
26.0% "Loving this book!!" 3 comments
06/06/2012 page 105
33.0% "I absolutely adore Budo."
show 6 hidden updates…