Keith Chawgo's Reviews > Out of Oz

Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire

4191324
May 08, 12

Read in May, 2012

I have just finished reading the final volume of the Wicked series and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the finale of the saga. Mr Maguire really out did himself with the last installment by writing rich narratives, fascinating chareacters and even nodding towards updates of characters from the previous three volumes.

War has transcended on Oz and everyone is torn between the two camps which lives are lost and destruction is rife. Rain, Glinda, Liir, Candle, Brr (The Cowardly Lion) and Dorothy must figure out their destination and sort out their roles to play in the scheme of things.

The descriptions of all the characters are richly written though at times, it does sometimes feel to be overwritten but this is more down to Maquire's style than anything. The author's ability to interweve the mythos of Oz from Braum and spin it on its head while remaining true to the origins is admirable feat which is done extremely well.

It should be warned that this is not a stand alone book and each of the volumes should be read in order. Wicked is brilliant, Son of the Witch suffers from (in my opinion) not a very likeable character and the emptiness of it but does serve a purpose in the series. Lion Amongst Men another interesting book that is another lead to book.

It is also important to note that whilst reading Out of Oz, Lion Amongst Men and Son of the Witch become more clear and more important to the saga.

The ending of the book is satisfying but as in life, there are no easy solutions and not everything is tied up with a fancy bow. Overall, this is a fantastic end to a truly wonderful saga of Oz. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Oz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Arvin I still haven't read Wicked. I need to get that book. Great review!