Theresa Abney's Reviews > The Hours

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

120540
Aug 07, 11

Read in August, 2009

Though I found this book excruciatingly boring, I cannot deny the beauty of the prose. Here are a few of my favorite excerpts:

"Beauty is a whore, I like money better."

"There is a beauty in the world, though it's harsher than we expect it to be."

"Clarissa will be bereaved, deeply lonely, but she will not die. She will be too much in love with life, with London. Virginia imagines someone else, yes, someone strong of body but frail-minded; someone with a touch of genius, of poetry, ground under by the wheels of the world, by war and government, by doctors; a someone who is, technically speaking insane, because that person sees meaning everywhere, knows that trees are sentient beings and sparrows sing in Greek. Yes, someone like that. Clarissa, sane Clarissa -exultant, ordinary Clarissa - will go on, loving London, loving her life of ordinary pleasures, and someone else, a deranged poet, a visonary, will be the one to die."

"She, Laura, likes to imagine (it's one of her most closely held secrets) that she has a touch of brilliance herself, just a hint of it, though she knows most people probably walk around with similar hopeful suspicion curled up like tiny fists inside them, never divulged." (p. 43)

"It is impossible not to imagine that other future, that rejected future, as taking place in Italy or France, among big sunny rooms and gardens, as being full of infidelities and great battles, as a vast and enduring romance laid over friendship as searing and profound it would accompany them to the grave and possibly even beyond." (p. 97)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hours.