Analisa's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

F 50x66
May 04, 2012

Read in May, 2012

It has been a long time since I’ve read a book as equally as inspiring as John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley. Although I may have fallen asleep on page six and while my previous experiences with John Steinbeck literature weren’t the best ones, this book had the power to move me.
Despite the immediate differences between myself and Steinbeck, the fact that I am a young woman, without a driver’s license, and having the fear of rape ingrained in me, no matter, I definitely plan on traveling alone to rediscover my love for the most incredible state in the world: California. After reading this book my wanting to visit San Francisco, Coachella Valley, Huntington Beach, and the beautiful Yosemite once again, were so bad, I totally cried. Steinbeck has stirred me into a state of unrest and hopefully now I’ll quit listening to the people who repeatedly tell me I’m crazy and those who tell me I’ll outgrow any urge I have to travel; because like Steinbeck, whose itch to travel has never remedied itself with maturity but rather, has turned itself into a "festering sore,” knew that experiencing the world for himself was what was best and there was no other way to cure his “disease”.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.