Mark's Reviews > Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Drift by Rachel Maddow

May 09, 2012

Read from May 04 to 07, 2012

“we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.”

-Eisenhower 1961

Rachel Maddow takes on the US military and she’s done her homework. You do not have to be a fan of this unapologetic lefty, to admire this book. Maddow pretty much keeps to the facts and maintains a non-partisan balance. Of course she hammers Reagan and the Bush duo, but she saves some ammo for Clinton and Obama too.
The author proposes that this “drift” began during Vietnam, where our military slowly began to build into this monolith; a huge ungainly, incredibly expensive machine, that knew no bounds and was always on the hunt, like a ravenous pitbull, sniffing out the next conflict.
Maddow also explores the out-sourcing of the military, which really began to blossom under Clinton and thanks to groups like Blackwater, really began to run rampant, without any government oversight. She also looks at the US nuclear program, which to date has cost America eight trillion dollars. A stunning figure. And we’re worried about “welfare queens”?
This should be required reading. As Americans we have safely distanced ourselves from these ongoing wars and need to be reminded occasionally of the horrendous cost in both lives and the monumental debts we are creating.
Maddow does have a good sense of humor too. She dedicated the book to Dick Cheney.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drift.