Celine's Reviews > The Telling

The Telling by Leah Giarratano

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read from May 15 to 17, 2012

Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
I love the dark feeling of the cover and the black background. The way we can only see the girl’s hair gives off this eerie and anonymous feeling.

Story:

A psychopath. An empath. A genius.

Disharmony is an engaging and gripping read. The book is written from alternating POVs between Luke, Samantha, and an anonymous narrator. When I first heard of the book, I was really interested with the concept of Disharmony. It was a unique and different concept compared to all the YA books I’ve read out there.

The idea of a witch creating 3 children with different abilities was very interesting. I really enjoyed reading how each of the children discovered that they are not just an average person but have the ability that makes them different from others. The story was quite well-written although it took me about ¾ of the book to finally get hooked into the story. The book started out with a chapter written by the anonymous narrator which I really liked but then the story progressed slowly until closer to the end of the book where it was filled with actions and exciting scenes. The ending made me excited to read the next book!

Characters:
The characters in this book are so enjoyable to read about! I love their personalities and their abilities. I don’t really want to spoil the characters’ ability but let’s just say Luke Black is unable to feel pain and Samantha is the opposite of him. I enjoyed reading about how they discover that they have special abilities and how they have siblings that are similar to them, born from the same mother. When they finally met, the plot became very interesting. I also really like Kirra, the Asian girl and antagonist in this book. She absolutely rocks! She works for the Yakuza so you can imagine how kick-ass she is!
As I read the book, I noticed that there were 3 ‘gifted’ children but only 2 were introduced in this book. What does this mean? And my curiosity was answered by the end of the book so I’m excited to read the next book in the series!

Overall:
Leah Giarratano’s Disharmony is a new riveting novel with a unique concept. What will happen when a psychopath, an empath and a genius unite? Will they bring good to the world or destroy the world with evil? Even though the story didn’t quite hooked me, it was overall an enjoyable read and I’m excited for the next book in the series!

Thank you Penguin Australia for the review copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Telling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bree T Yay :D I will be starting this soon too, can't wait!

Celine YAY! I haven't actually started yet but I'm planning to read it as soon as I have the time! :)

Bree T Be good to read it at about the same time! :)

Celine Yes! I'll definitely tell you when I start reading the book so we can discuss it together? ;)

Bree T Yes that would be awesome! :)