Leanne Lynch's Reviews > The Tiger Who Came to Tea

The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr

F 50x66
May 04, 12

Read in May, 2012

‘The Tiger Who Came to Tea’, a book by Judith Kerr, is amongst those classics that we all remember reading as a child. The story is created around a girl named Sophie and her mother, who end up with an enormous tiger with an enormous appetite as a guest for tea. The tiger eats and drinks everything in sight- including Daddy’s beer, whatever will Mummy cook for Daddy’s tea now?

The story is written in simple language, making it ideal for an EYFS or KS1 setting. The use of repetition and punctuation, particularly speech marks, creates an opportunity for a literacy lesson.
The illustrations, also by Judith Kerr, are vivid and descriptive, with emphasis being placed on the difference in size between Sophie and her mother, and the tiger. This gives a realistic aspect to a situation which is otherwise not very realistic.

I was quite excited to revisit this book as it was precious to me as a child. I do feel that the book is quite old fashioned in some ways, particularly with the mother worrying about not having daddy’s tea ready, and daddy taking control of the situation by making the obvious suggestion of eating out. However, given that the book is first published in 1968, I can appreciate that this was fitting with the times. The book still captivates me as an adult, and I feel that there is a certain magical element within the tale that would appeal to all children.

I personally would use the book in an EYFS setting as inspiration for role-play and discussion which would allow children to use their imagination and express interest in various other possible guests for tea. I would then use this as a stimulus to create a wall display.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger Who Came to Tea.