Leticia's Reviews > The Intimate Act of Choreography

The Intimate Act of Choreography by Lynne Anne Blom

Jul 19, 12

Read from May 08 to July 19, 2012

I'm closing the chapter on this book. I started reading it faithfully, and came to (re)learn so much more about my dance. All of the things that apply to me as a writer also apply to me as a dancer. Except the observation is less about the whole picture, and more about certain parts: movement, texture, shape, space, mood, time. All about texture in movement, and texture in movement, and how the two are related.

As a bellydancer, it was extremely useful to me, in theory and philosophy. In practise, it's a bit more abstract, written as it is for the ballet dancer. That is, at the *moment* it is a bit more abstract. I know with certainty that as I grow into my choreography, different parts of this book will apply more closely, and that I will derive more and more from its pages. In general, this text is valuable to dancers of ALL creeds.

Even though this text is written with dance teachers in mind, as a student of the art of choreography, I have benefited enormously from it. Most especially from the chapter on not letting music dictate the dance to you. It's a really tough notion to get past, that one.

I have yet to try many of the suggested exercises in the book, but that will happen when I have more time to choreograph, and am not pushing myself towards performance choreography at short notice.

Highly recommend this work to all dancers. Best twenty-something-dollars I've spent in a long while.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Intimate Act of Choreography.