Amy's Reviews > Sticks

Sticks by Joan Bauer

Sep 08, 08

bookshelves: young-adult

Sticks is about a boy named Mickey who's family owns a pool hall. His family lives in an apartment above. His goal is to become the nine-ball champion of the world. First he has to beat his enemy, Buck, in the Junior Nine-Ball Championship. He and his friend, Arlen, devise a strategy using math to conquer the table, but Mickey's nerves and temper always seem to get in his way. Especially when he plays against Buck. Then an old family friend, Joe Alvarez, rolls into town, and agrees to be Mickey's coach.

This was a light, easy read. I believe this is the shortest of Joan Bauer's books. It has some quirky characters that all have something in their lives that they do well. For Mickey it is pool, for Arlen it is math, Francine likes magic tricks, and Camille loves designing and sewing. Even the adults in this book seem to have something that defines them. Poppy (Mickey's grandma) runs the pool hall. Joseph Alvarez lives to be out on the open road as a truck driver. Mickey's mom loves the community and is in charge of the neighborhood watch. The message I took from this book is to not be afraid to go after your ambitions, even if it means overcoming your obstacles. I recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sticks.