Reena Jacobs's Reviews > This Side of the Grave

May 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from May 20 to 25, 2012

The blurb on the back of this work was a bit misleading. I thought the ghoul queen would have a greater role, but really her role was no more prevalent than the one she played in the last book. Yes, an important role, but I saw very little of her.

I wasn't disappointed in this book though. It was interesting enough even though it wasn't what I expected after reading the blurb. My biggest complaint was the secrets Cat hid from the reader. I have a preference to knowing whatever the main character knows. I'm not even sure Cat revealed the secrets she whispered to Bones. I can think of only one minor surprise announcement, and even then it wasn't that big of a deal.

Overall, this series is really sucking me in. I found I missed an offshoot of the Nighthuntress world, so I'll be start on Spade's and Mencheres's books next before cracking One Grave at a Time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of the Grave.

05/22/2012 page 189
53.0% "I'm rather bummed to find I'm missing part of the story. Apparently, First Drop of Crimson (an off shoot of the series) comes before this book. Oh well... guess I'll have to start that one next. Not stopping this book just to find out what I missed. Besides, I need to order First Drop of Crimson first."
05/22/2012 page 247
69.0% "Now I'm irritated. Cat should not be whispering secrets. I should know everything she knows. There's been a lot of whispering between Cat and others in this story. It's really starting to get to me."