Nukonu's Reviews > War Child: A Child Soldier's Story

War Child by Emmanuel Jal

U_50x66
May 03, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

I am currently reading this book. War Child: A Child Soldier's Story by Emmanuel Jal is about Emmanuel and his experience being a child soldier and his life after it, as being a a rapper, and activist. The book talks about the controversial topic of child soldiering. Jal talks about events in his life that changed him emotionally and physically.

So far I am still in the beginning of the book, but I can say what I like about the so far is that the beginning of the book gives you background on his life before he was a child soldier. I also like his use of sensory and imagery details because it draws me into the reading more. Unfortunately what I disliked about this book is that the beginning starts off slow.

My favorite quote so far is "staring up, the stage lights blaze white into my eyes as i move toward the microphone. It is time for me to tell my story using the music and lyrics that are my weapons now that I have laid down guns and machete's forever. The crowd clams and i stand still. I think of my mother and the songs we once sang in a village far away. For a moment i speak to her" (2)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War Child.