Grace's Reviews > Fantasy in Death

F_50x66
May 03, 12

bookshelves: futuristic, mystery

Craptastic.

Used to like certain ones of Nora Roberts' books, so wanted to see what her "futuristic" series are all about. It's not incredibly futuristic, with flying cars or whatever, just with additional technology, such as the autochef (to help you prepare meals) and some advanced remote controls.

Basically, the owner of this fantasy interactive video game gets killed alone in his locked-up apartment with only his droid-butler (that was turned off for the night). So who killed him?

Why this book didn't do it for me and really sucked was because I felt the plot was dragged out for soooooooooo long for no good reason. We have the Lieutenant Dallas trying to act out the potential scene of the crime, and I know it's realistic that crimes are not solved overnight, but come on, this is a BOOK, can we just hurry it up? She goes through the suspect list not once but three times, and it's just sooooo tedious. Nothing new or exciting happens; she even goes to play the video game with her husband Roarke and ends up in a sex romp with him...which brings me to my final complaint:

The whole Roarke being the perfect man thing is so irritating. He's the PERFECT guy, in addition to being incredibly attractive, he also finds HER incredibly attractive, and he's so supportive that it just makes me want to barf. I mean, this is a book for grown-ups, right?

There was one scene in the book that made me just want to throw the book at the wall. It's where she dresses up to attend a banquet or something, and she's supposed to look really hot, right, all made-up, as opposed to how she usually is, which is no makeup and her office uniform. Well, Roarke, instead of gushing over her and stating how beautiful she looks (I'm assuming she's looking pretty hot and not like a transvestite), states evenly and logically, "This is a different look for you but you look very lovely. Just not the same."

Okay, what the freaking a. Is he a moron to state the obvious? And what guy doesn't like the girl to dress up if she's wearing the same thing every day? It is ridiculous, is what this book is.

TOTALLY DISGUSTED. WILL NOT READ THIS SERIES AGAIN.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy in Death.