Joe's Reviews > 12.21

12.21 by Dustin Thomason

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: apocalyptic
Read from June 09 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

Thanks Random House for this advance of 12.21. Due out in August. A fun and fascinating read, about the end of the world, as we know it, based on the ancient Mayan calender that leads you to believe the world ends on 12-21-12.
The question is, Will this happen?? and if yes,How?
We have all heard about a possible scenario for the "End"... a magnetic polar shift, or our world ending when the Mayan calendar ends, but 12.21 adds a whole other level of excitement by adding a very powerful strain of disease, much like Mad Cow disease, that starts with 2 explorers back from Guatemala. From just 2 men being infected, you follow along how fast and easily a disease of this type can start to jump from person to persons and follow as the city of Los Angeles is suddenly being quarantined. Infection to death is 6 days! Add to this a priceless "codex" written in the ancient Mayan language that possibly leads the characters to answers for a cure. Fold into the story, amazing discussion and reserach at uncovering why the powerful Mayan civilization disappeared. Then you slowly start to see HOW these two events relate to each other and to what is occurring in L.A. and the rest of the world.
Once you get started on this read, you will not be able to put it down.
From the detailed and very understandable study done at the Getty Museum on the Mayan codex, to the jungles of Guatemala with flashbacks to ancient Mayan culture and cities you will be swept along on this exciting adventure.
I promise you, not only a great read but this book WILL have you questioning if eating all this red meat that we consume is really a "good/smart" thing to do. WARNING: some of the details of how the cattle/meat industry feeds and handles the food we consume today, will definitely have you re-thinking becoming a vegetarian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 12.21.