Jake Keyel's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

819838
May 12, 12

bookshelves: books, novels, kindle, fantasy
Read from May 03 to 10, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Well, I thought it was an interesting idea that was sort of ruined by the writer. I know it's a magical world, but do all of the women need to be beautiful temptresses? And does the protagonist (or author) really need to objectify them as such? I like a book with sex as much as the next guy (think Song of Ice and Fire) but it was all so forced and unimportant to the story that I'm left with the feeling that the author thought that more sex = grittier story telling. It doesn't necessarily. And honestly, why introduce us to the fact that Eliot enjoys kinky gay sex, when it plays absolutely no role in the plot? Not to mention the fact that Eliot, the only gay character, is a wine snob and is constantly concerned about his fancy clothes? Oh, and he also randomly hooks up with woodland creatures? Because, hey, he's gay! Come on, it's 2012 for Pete's sake!
And finally, why spend so much time explaining to us the endless permutations of each spell depending on moon cycle, weather, etc. if in fact there are no consequences for using the spells during the wrong conditions! I kept hoping that one of the kids would cast a spell in Fillory and explode or something, because not only is the weather wrong, but they are in a completely different dimension! Sloppy writing.

Update: And this is the biggest problem, if I was reading correctly. The farm house they stay at is somehow close enough to Buffalo for a quick drive into town and yet they can see the Adirondack mountains in the distance? Completely wrong. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but if I was, please learn some geography Mr. Grossman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.