Andrew's Reviews > The Last Ringbearer

The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Yeskov

May 13, 12

Read from May 03 to 13, 2012

Even if your familiarity with Tolkein's Middle Earth is restricted to watching Peter Jackson's films (which I regard as more worthwhile than the books, at any rate) you will definitely get something from this.

Finally, something to do with the Lord of the Rings universe with which I can engage. Before I was resigned to opining, in a manner which was unwittingly hipster and irritating, "I actually prefer The Silmarillion". It's a re-imagining of the LOTR universe from a stance of rigour which extends beyond the common-room parlour-games of Tolkein's invented languages. Yeskov himself has written an essay explaining why he found it necessary to create this tale which tells of the events in and around the LOTR from the perspective of Mordor. It is no mistake that this work of revisionary fantasy comes from Russia, and parallels with Soviet propaganda, espionage, and the brutality of warfare elevate this far above fan fiction. It is a work of literature in its own right, not quite the Aeneid to Tolkein's Iliad and Odyssey, but not bloody far off it.

Excellent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Ringbearer.