Melinda's Reviews > Shadows of the Realm

Shadows of the Realm by Dionne Lister/Eloise March

May 08, 13

Read from May 03 to September 08, 2012

Shadows Of The Realm is a beautifully written story from the multiple perspectives of a very endearing band of characters. I had my favourites, but it's hard not to love this well drawn bunch for how they work collectively. The characters are diverse - ranging in age, race and animal species. The author could focus on any of them and make a solid tale - a rich and promising way to begin a series. But it's not just the individual characters; it's the relationships - between young and old, human and animal. Even within a dramatic family of dragons! Okay, these were some of my favourites. :)
Though mostly light and gentle in tone, the story delves into just enough dark places to allow mature themes to be explored by the young adult reader. I found this added depth and respectfully subtle moral lessons to the coming-of-age journeys of Bronwyn and Blayke. However, the fun and cheekiness served by the surrounding characters balances it nicely.
Combined with the interweaving stories, the action grows steadily and comes to a satisfying end that leaves you wanting more. Shadows Of The Realm is a highly enjoyable read that I gladly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows of the Realm.

07/19/2012