Paula's Reviews > Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: book-club
Read in September, 2008

More chick-lit that's not really for me. Too predictable (except for the "dead" wife), to the point where I kept figuring out way, way too far in advance what was going to happen throughout the book.

The characterization, to me, was off from the beginning. Kit, for example, was too effeminate to be a believable NYSE maverick, and, no matter what the circumstances, there's no way a woman like Abbey would take him back so soon. I also quickly got tired of Fee literally reading everyone's minds; making his intuition more precise rather than simply hearing what all the other characters were thinking would have been a more creative approach. Several characters were so flat and just unlikable (and, consequently, unredeemable) that I got tired of reading about them; Abbey's mother, the worst of all the characters (for me) probably trumped the "dead" wife because her actions were so absurd and unethical.

The writing also didn't appeal to me. Pretty much all of the sentences, from the dialog to the description, contained too much information, leaving very little for the imagination. The quotes that preceded each chapter gave away too much information as well, and were rendered useless by the end of the book because it's so easy to see where and how everything would end. Personifying the cheese was an interesting twist, but one that eventually fell flat because that thread wasn't carried throughout the book and was too haphazardly inserted to be an effective literary tool.

I know I'm a harsh critic of chick-lit because I largely don't care to read it, but there were not enough pleasant qualities for me to warrant rereading this one. It ended happily at the end, of course, but the road was so clearly paved that all novelty was lost before I ever got there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed Are the Cheesemakers.