Lyndz's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from May 03 to 05, 2012

Something about Gayle Forman’s writing is reminiscent of Melina Marchetta, particularly in this book. I believe that the similarity is in the heart-wrenchingly REAL characters and her ability to bottle up and display real life emotion.

I actually liked Where She Went better than I liked it’s prequel; If I Stay. Even though I liked it better, I still don’t think it merited a full 5 star rating. A couple of things, the plot was a bit lacking again, like it was in the first book. A whole lot of 1st person musings and long inner monologues. A lot of soul searching and rehashing the past. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact, a lot of it was quite good. But not a whole lot of plot and actual story going on. I don’t know, maybe that is just Forman’s modus operandi. And realistically, there is nothing wrong with that style of writing, it just that I PERSONALLY wanted more plot.

That being said, what Forman does with her prose is very powerful and moving. What she does, she does exceptionally well.
Quote from the book: “But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I'll get through today.”
I can say nothing but good things about her ability to capture emotion and paint a realistic moment in time.

Parts of this book seemed more than just a bit unrealistic. Like the fact that Adam (our protagonist) has, in the last 3 years since the previous book, become one of the hugest rock stars in the world. Bigger than Gaga. Ok, I can buy that one of our main characters has become famous. But in addition to that, our protagonist from the last book (Mia) has become a huge star in her own right, a world famous classic Cellist complete with starring role at Carnegie Hall and life-sized billboards. We are bordering on the absurd now, but to top it off, Mia’s best friend Kim is now ALSO a world famous middle east war photographer for none other than National Geographic. I don’t mean to split hairs here, but did all 3 of the main characters really need to become famous? It just really struck me as strange when the rest of the book was so believable.
(view spoiler) I mean, I get that he had never stopped loving Mia, but that part seemed a bit harsh.

The love story between Mia and Adam was extraordinarily well portrayed. It didn’t seem contrived or gimmicky at all, which is rare. I think the whole story is actually quite cathartic after having read the first book.
Since I have been doing this lately; if I had to chose one word to describe Where She Went, that word would be cathartic.

Where She Went is a very well written book, it is interesting and compelling. I am glad I decided to read it after reading the first book. It is uncommon that I like a 2nd book in a series more than the original. I would recommend it to most of my gal friends. Particularly if you have a penchant for realistic interpersonal relationships and/or love stories. 4 & ½ stars from me.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

05/04/2012 page 175
05/04/2012 page 263
100.0% "Finished. Will write review soon."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wonderful review, Lyndz