Zuleeza's Reviews > Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: debut-author-read-in-2012, paranormal, ongoing-series, series-i-given-up
Read from July 15 to 16, 2012

This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

Look, I'm aware of just how many of my GR friends are fans of this book. But, Kaidan didn't work his magic on me, nor I can tolerate everything else about this book.

Buckle up, boys. This ain't going to be pretty.

The whole time, I was trying to figure out the author. What was it actually that she wanted to convey? It was as if she was drunk herself while writing this!

I'm not saying that this is a total trainwreck. My 2-stars rating proved that. Somehow, Sweet Evil managed to sustain my attention until the end, and I actually almost fell for Kaidan. Almost.

Maybe I should show a figure to illustrate how I was feeling.
description

The prologue was okay, unfortunately its Chapter One was the worst first chapter I've ever read.

"Kai, like Thai, only yummier. Gah! Who was this girl invading my brain?"

I asked the same question myself, Anna.

"A freckle was not beautiful. It was a small dark attention grabber. I hated the way everyone's eyes went to it when they talked to me."

Tell me people with freckles, don't you find that offensive? Dear Anna, keep your idea of ideal beauty to yourself, will ya?

"I didn't really know what gonorrhea was, except that it was an STD"

Ugh, Anna. I thought you are this good girl who always scores in class. Even if you never learn about it in school, it doesn't hurt to have broader general knowledge.

After a couple of brief encounters, Anna made promise to Patti that she'll stay away from Kaidan, but the next thing she did was to go to Kaidan's apartment straight away?

And then, that 'a half-naked half demon was burying his face in my neck' thing (I seriously don't know what to call this)...was just disturbing in the sense that Anna got all excited and had to keep her hands from going everywhere on Kaidan.

I was sitting there, dumbfounded and thought
description

Look, I got that this Kaidan is the son of Lust and being sexy is indeed his job on this earth, but I would appreciate if Anna had more self control, (view spoiler)

And then the road trip! So, they were short on time because Sister Ruth was dying, why wouldn't Kaidan and Anna just take a flight then? Come on, Kaidan is filthy rich right?

Don't get me wrong, I did miraculously enjoy the road trip part except when Kaidan slept naked and all those foreplay with Anna (seriously, Wendy Higgins, why wouldn't you just rename your book as FANSERVICE). I got to learn more about Kaidan's actual stance and the other side of his personality. Also, Anna became less annoying during this part.

Then, it went downhill from there. The awkward conversation between Anna and this father, the messy introduction of the other Nephilims, Anna's obsession for Kaidan, bla3. Like I said before, some other random shits.

So, tell me again what's up with all these Team Kaidan stuff? Because he hardly made an appearance after the road trip part.

Oh well, I should have known better than to read books with highly sought after bad boys. Maybe I should steer clear from Obsidian, Existence and Perfect Chemistry series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Evil.

07/15/2012 "So...I pick this one up because Kaidan Rowe is currently taking over the net. He's literally everywhere on bookblogs.
See what I mean?

p/s: I still hate that 'don't look at mah tummy coz I'm pregnant pose' and that damned fishtail dress on the cover." 4 comments
07/15/2012 page 454
100.0% "This isn't going to be nice. Review to come."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauren HAHA! I laughed outloud at your review. I agree, that something about the book was intriguing. But Kaiden (and Anna sometimes) bothered me as well. I wanted to tell Anna to STAY AWAY FROM HIM. I'm not sure I'd compare the boys in the books you listed at the end to Kaiden. I liked them much more than him anyway. I'd recommend you definitely give Obsidian (I think you'd like the heroine Katy better) a try and possibly Perfect Chemistry too.

Lauren Also, I agree that the whole logistics of the road trip didn't make much sense. You're totally right about the flying thing. My issue with it was that Patti could barely handle letting Anna go to a party, and yet she sends her across the country with a demon's son! I could not reconcile that decision with her character.

message 3: by Fatima (new)

Fatima That's Kaidan who everyone has been going googly eyes for? Hmmm...

But you should definitely read Perfect Chemistry. It's the best book out of the series in my opinion. And Lauren is right, you should give Obsidian a try too for Katy. She's awesome. Daemon however, is not.

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "Also, I agree that the whole logistics of the road trip didn't make much sense. You're totally right about the flying thing. My issue with it was that Patti could barely handle letting Anna go to a..."

Hihi. Thanks Lauren. Actually, I was afraid for a second that my review will be flagged and trolled by Kaidan's fangirls.

Zuleeza Fatima wrote: "That's Kaidan who everyone has been going googly eyes for? Hmmm...

Well, if you said so then I think I should give Perfect Chemistry and Obsidian a try then since we both despise all these fangirls going googly eyes for scumbag heroes.

message 6: by Fatima (new)

Fatima Zuleeza wrote: "Fatima wrote: "That's Kaidan who everyone has been going googly eyes for? Hmmm...

Yes, we do! Alex from Perfect Chemistry isn't bad though! He's lovely. He's honestly not a jerk like Daemon.

message 7: by Mika (new) - rated it 1 star

Mika I completely agree with this, but while I REALLY did not like Sweet Evil at all, I really enjoyed Obsidian and somewhat like Perfect Chemistry. I think there was just something about this book that was...off.

Zuleeza Mika wrote: "I completely agree with this, but while I REALLY did not like Sweet Evil at all, I really enjoyed Obsidian and somewhat like Perfect Chemistry. I think there was just something about this book that..."

Hi Mika! Thanks for the comment. Yup, I read Obsidian straight after Sweet Evil and I did like it but I have yet to read Perfect Chemistry :)

message 9: by Ioana (new) - added it

Ioana LOL! Best.Graph.Ever! Also, the book sounds common and annoying.

Zuleeza Ioana wrote: "LOL! Best.Graph.Ever! Also, the book sounds common and annoying."

The premise of the Seven Deadly Sins was promising to be honest...until all the excessive fanservice. Blech~

Have you seen the sequel's cover? Anna meant to look fierce but she looks drunk to me LOL!

message 11: by Ioana (new) - added it

Ioana Zuleeza wrote: "Ioana wrote: "LOL! Best.Graph.Ever! Also, the book sounds common and annoying."

Have y..."

Haha, yeah! Weird standing posture. :)

Rogier Zuleeza wrote: "Ioana wrote: "LOL! Best.Graph.Ever! Also, the book sounds common and annoying."

Have y..."

agree w- the cover .

message 13: by Rez (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rez Loved your review! I couldn't agree more on the lack of self-control Anna had over Kaiden and her obsession with him. The logic behind her 'good girl' persona totally failed here. I don't get Kaiden's character as well....this sorta God's ultimate gift to woman with the bad boy magic is losing its appeal....the writers need to make the male characters more likeable.

Zuleeza Rezman wrote: "Loved your review! I couldn't agree more on the lack of self-control Anna had over Kaiden and her obsession with him. The logic behind her 'good girl' persona totally failed here. I don't get Kaide..."

Heee...thanks! I never follow Anna's logic anyway. I think the author needs to find more substance in her next book because as you put it, this premise of bad boy magic is tiring...