Sheryce Steele's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

May 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: eng-356

Overall, Dairy Queen turned out to be a pretty good book. At first, I had a really hard time getting into the book because I am a technical writer and had trouble looking past the errors. However, once I realized that they were there purposefully, after shuddering, I was able to push past that and view it as though it had been written by a peer, whose perspective it was from. Once I had gotten over my dislike for the main character's speech patterns, I started finding myself getting more involved in the book. Soon, I was laughing at the funny comments, the awkward situations, and relating myself to D.J. Schwenk herself! Occasionally, the grammar would get to me a little, but I knew the reason behind and could understand it. I also noticed that there seemed to be less grammatical errors, or at least less noticeable ones, as the novel progressed, which worked very well into the plot and made the ending make that much more sense. So, all in all, I actually did enjoy this book! It was humorous and something that I could relate to!

Spoilers:
Rated 1-5, 1 being little and 5 being frequent.
Language: 2. The d--- word is used five to ten times, and the Lord's name is taken in vain probably between ten and fifteen times. H--- is referenced two or three times, as well. Nothing too offensive, and they aren't used often enough to be considered too alarming, in my opinion.
Violence: 1. There isn't really any violence, other than on the football field. There's some verbal fighting, but it never really gets violent.
Sex/Drugs: There isn't any sex, but D.J. does find out that her best friend is a lesbian and is in love with her. Their friendship becomes a bit strained, but the friend isn't talked about or thought about too much and never in a romantic way. There is a little bit of underage drinking, but that also isn't focused on hardly at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.