Chelsea's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Jan 29, 13

Read in January, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca Can't wait to read this book - I've heard so many good things and your rating is even more encouragement!

Chelsea Becca wrote: "Can't wait to read this book - I've heard so many good things and your rating is even more encouragement!"

Believe me, it is beyond amazing! You neeedd to read it! I want to write a proper review of it soon, but life is stressful at the moment, ha.

The ONLY negative thing about it (as I'm sure you may know from the book's "summary") is that Pi tries to be a Christian, Muslim, and a Hindu all at once - which is completely contradictory and impossible for true Christians, y'know?

With that being said, overall, the book was beautiful. And I love how many different ways it can be interpreted. For me, it felt very much pro-God and pro-faith and it really makes one think about humanity itself. I know I give a lot of 5-star reviews (I'm probably too lenient on how I review books, but it takes a lot for me to dislike a book, lol), but Life of Pi is truly one of a kind. It's been a long time since I've read anything like it.

And... it has a TIGER as a MAIN CHARACTER. What's NOT to love about it? ;P Richard Parker himself, while he doesn't speak, is completely full of beauty and symbolism that he is begging to be analyzed deeper.

I soo need to see the movie now. Have you seen it?

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca Chelsea wrote: "Becca wrote: "Can't wait to read this book - I've heard so many good things and your rating is even more encouragement!"

Believe me, it is beyond amazing! You neeedd to read it! I want to write a ..."

LOL. I knew you would mention your love of the tiger. ;) I haven't seen the movie, though I really wanted to. But I also wanted to read the book first, so I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD.

Chelsea Becca wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Becca wrote: "Can't wait to read this book - I've heard so many good things and your rating is even more encouragement!"

Believe me, it is beyond amazing! You neeedd to read it! I ..."

Haha. Hey, I love tigers. ;) He has got to be my favourite literary character now. And yeah, I was the same way. I wanted to read the book first. I don't think it's playing in the "main" theater in my area anymore. However, we also have a very cheap theater (like, $3 a person) who will get "older" movies that have just left the Carmike theater. So hopefully they get Life of Pi soon. XD

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca We have a dollar theater about twenty minutes from us where it's only $1 to see a movie and it's pretty much the same thing. They show older movies that just left the other theatres. But as I'm not home right now and Kansas City sucks!!! Lol jk, but yeah, I'll just have to wait to see it. :/