John's Reviews > The Promise

The Promise by Chaim Potok

Oct 23, 08

Recommended to John by: My sweet mom.
Recommended for: Those seeking to reconcile religion with modernity.
Read in October, 2008

For all those struggling through religious issues (especially my LDS friends) -- this book will put so much into perspective.

This book explains everything. And it has the potential to change a great deal.

I cannot recommend highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Promise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen I feel that way about all of Chaim Potok's books. It's nice to read through the religious struggle with the distance of it being a different religion than my own, but with the core issues being the same.

message 2: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave I loved 'The Chosen'. I'll give this one a try.

message 3: by Lon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lon Wonderful book - Potok's an amazing author. He describes the personal (sometimes very lonely) path to true religion in such a way that you feel he has walked the path himself and his books are more autobiographical than fiction.

message 4: by Polly (new)

Polly I loved this book too. It seems like most novels explore a character whose enlightenment leads him/her to abandon religion. This describes the struggle, but the choice to embrace religion with even deeper meaning.

John I love that about Potok. He did the same thing with Davita's Harp. At the same time, he sure doesn't pull any punches bout the warts.

Wonderful stuff!!!

message 6: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave It appears that many Jews have made peace with, or at least learned to tolerate the warts of culture, religion, tradition. I wonder if that is a function of age as some more modern faith communities are still quite sensitive to any consideration of fallibility or error in tradition.

message 7: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Personally I think it is a function of the Holocaust. It simultaneously strengthened the power of tradition and sense of community while demanding people to face the absolute most difficult questions about religion and theodicy.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica John,
This is so funny!
I am also reading Tolle's A New Earth and have The Promise on my list to read next! (I loved The Chosen)
I continue to wonder where is our Mormon equivalent to Chaim Potok?

Thanks for the review.

John Jessica!!!

Levi Peterson is the closest I know of. But we need MORE!!!

You, perhaps?!?!?! ;)

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Hey John, I`ve not come across this author before but sounds like a book I need to read at this point, especially considering Polly`s comments above. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 11: by George (new)

George If you enjoyed "The Chosen", you should also read Potok's "My Name is Asher Lev".

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne So based on your invitation to this site and your recommendation of "The Promise", I promptly bought the book and loved it! Only problem is that I got lost into the world of reading and let my life go for those few days....but well worth!

Thanks again for the invite...now I just need to figure out how to this fabulous site!

Anne

Richard Also recommended: My Name Is Asher Lev.

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] I'm not sure there needs to be a Mormon equivalent, if someone else did it perfectly already... ;)