Lauren's Reviews > The Hunt

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

May 03, 12

Gene has to worry every minute of everyday about what he does. Even the simplest of reactions can give him away. Why does he have to worry? Because Gene is human, and his mortal-craving, blood-sucking classmates, well, are not. Gene adapts very well: wearing fake teeth, shaving every bit of hair from his body (besides his head), and smearing ointment all over himself to mask his stench have all become part of his daily routine. Until, he is chosen for the hunt. The hunt is one of the most coveted activities by vampires and a huge honor to win. The only problem? They’re hunting humans…

I am so entranced when I read this premise. I love novels about vampires, but some have gotten… cliché. The Hunt’s premise is certainly fresh and new. A human who is hiding in a world of vampires? That’s playing by a whole new set of rules. I already know how a vampire would try to survive and hide in human society, and I am intrigued to find out how a human fares when the roles are reversed.

Gene is a very fascinating character. When I first meet him, it becomes obvious that the rules have been drilled into his brain from a very young age. Frankly, I worry it has completely ruined his chances at compassion and humanity. It hasn’t. Yet. The signs are all there. He refers to the “humans” as “hepers”, which is the derogatory word the vamps use for them. He is ashamed of going out in sunlight and of being a human. I definitely worry about connecting with him, but after the first chapter, I come to understand and admire his character. Gene is intelligent and thinks fast on his feet, and he is resourceful and very courageous. I find myself rooting for him throughout the book. I really like that he doesn’t just magically evade everyone: stuff happens. And, he doesn’t always get off the hook.

The storyline is awesome. I can say with confidence that it is unlike any vampire story I have ever read or heard of. A few of the plot twists seem predictable, and that is slightly disappointing. I really enjoy how The Hunt progresses;l it doesn’t move too fast, but neither does it drag on slowly. Fukuda takes his time exploring and describing in detail what it’s like being a human in this time, while also giving brief, unique glimpses into the lives of the vampires. I‘m excited about how many things are told about vampires that I have never heard before. The Hunt is definitely a fantastic and unique read, even if it does end on a super, mega, HUGE cliffhanger!

The Cover:

Just like the story, the cover for The Hunt is more than it appears at first glance. If I look closely, there are two people standing on a cliff inside the ripped looking portion. Then, at the bottom of the cover, there are people running… it has an eerie, haunting look. It gives me chills: can’t wait to see the cover for book two!

I give The Hunt 4.5 out of 5 hearts: Very Highly Recommended!

review first posted on my blog: http://www.epiloguereview.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.