Cheryl Christensen's Reviews > Paskagankee

Paskagankee by Allan Leverone

F 50x66
May 03, 2012

Read in April, 2012

I knew this book would be a thriller when I agreed to review it. Based on the description of the book, I felt like there was a “Jesse Stone” kind of feel to it, and since I’m a huge Tom Selleck fan, I was hooked. This is the description I received:

When Mike McMahon moves to the remote village of Paskagankee, Maine, to take over as chief of police following a tragic shooting, he’s hoping for nothing more than to get a new start on life. Instead, he encounters a series of brutal murders, beginning almost immediately upon his arrival.

Together with a beautiful rookie cop and a disgraced college professor, McMahon races against time and a mounting body count in a desperate attempt to stop a seemingly unstoppable killer…

Now for the reality of the book…I loved it! While there were some good similarities between this book and the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B. Parker and Michael Brandman, this in no way is a copycat story! Allan has his own style of writing and I thoroughly enjoyed reading page after page.

The characters were believable and the story elements were all in just the right place to make this a suspenseful thriller. I could imagine the forest looming over the two-lane highway, going on for miles. The town felt real and the legend did, too. I really liked the interactions between the Chief and his newbie recruit. The clues were all there, but not shouting out the ending – just the way it should be in a suspense crime novel.

I can highly recommend this book to any who like a good crime story sprinkled with legend and romance. And go ahead and imagine Tom Selleck as Mike McMahon, Chief of Police in Paskagankee, Maine…if you dare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paskagankee.