Steven R. McEvoy's Reviews > Fugitives

Fugitives by Alexander Gordon Smith

May 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2011-best-of, read-2011
Read in January, 2011 , read count: 1

I really have become a huge fan of Alexander Gordon Smith's writings. I took my time reading this books, because with the cliff hangers that Lockdown, Solitary, Death Sentence ended with I did not want to be left hanging waiting for the fifth and final book in the series. This book races from beginning to end.

Continuing directly from the end of Death Sentence this story is about what happens after the great prison break. Alex hoped they would get out and be able to let the authorities know what really was going on at the prison, children being experimented on and turned into Black Suit goons or berserker beasts. But soon they realize that Furnace turned their break to his advantage and has unleashed his whole army to burn the city down and after that the whole world. For the first time in the series Alex and his small band go their separate ways. Alex, Simon and Zee know that in order to stop Furnace they must split up so they can try and stop him in two different ways.

This is an excellent series and I know I will read anything else Smith publishes based on how good these books are. The big drawback is that the publishing of them is about 2 years behind in North America compared to the UK publishing. I know a number of readers who have ordered later book in the series from the UK rather than wait for the US editions to be released. But either way read them and find out what they say beneath heaven is hell and beneath hell is Furnace, and even after escaping from Furnace prison, Alex found himself under the influence of Alfred Furnace and his nectar.

Read the rest of the review and with links to other reviews of books by the authors on my blog Book Reviews and More. And also an author profile and interview with Alexander Gordon Smith and a visual bibliography of the Art of Furnace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fugitives.