Catherine McDonald's Reviews > Gangsta Granny

Gangsta Granny by David Walliams

F_50x66
May 03, 12

Gangsta Granny by David Walliams
Our hero Ben is bored beyond belief after he is made to stay at his grandma’s house. All she wants to do is to play Scrabble, and eat cabbage soup. But there are two things Ben doesn’t know about his grandma. She was once an international jewel thief and all her life, she has been plotting to steal the crown jewels, and now she needs Ben’s help… This is a great book that Key Stage Two can enjoy. For world book day a class in my school presented the book to Key Stage Two Assembly by rein acting the book through a rap! It was very effective and they children were using both poetry and music skills to present the book to their audience!
Other suggestions I have come across are to create a recipe for something original like Granny’s Cabbage Cake used in the book. The children can be creative as they want to be and there are curricular links with literacy and possible PHSE if you wanted to educate on healthy eating.
I like this book as I believe there is a certain real life appeal to it. Trying not to be blunt but Walliams uses everyday things that children will recognise and understand. Examples being out of date cornettos, Venn diagrams etc. Granny’s hectic timetable can be altered and changed during a math’s lesson, possibly looking at solving time problems. So many different places are mentioned in the book and you could always get the children to use Google Maps to locate them. It is an excellent resource to create cross curricular links in.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gangsta Granny.