Christina's Reviews > Sarah

Sep 08, 08

did not like it
bookshelves: back-away-from-the-book
Read in June, 2008

What I learned from this book? People are stupid.

I had been wanting to read "The Heart is Decietful Above All Things" for a long time. I know all the drama about how the author lied and isn't male, or a teenager, nor had she ever lived a life like what she wrote. I don't much care about that, because I like good writing. Also the books were published as fiction. So who cares if the author lied. I know that the author is not a good person and humiliated a lot of people but if the book is good, I don't really care.

However, this book is not good. This book is very bad. It's a well-written kind of bad. A mish-mosh of Denis Cooper's tragically abused gay boys, Mary Gaitskill's S & M saturated day dreams and Poppy Z Brite's loving odes to the abuses that can be heaped upon a young gay man's body.

Cherry Vanilla is a child whose mother refuses to claim as her own. He lives with her, but she is abusive and irrational. He wants to be a prostitute just like her and sets out on an adventure to do so. It's the kind of book that would ONLY be readable if it really happened. That way, you could flutter your hands and say "Oh my" over and over. Otherwise, it's dreck. The story is hackneyed and uneven. Not a single character is developed in any way and it just isn't funny. I've read over and over that this book is funny. It isn't. I looked for the funny. I don't shy away from black humor. It wasn't there. Instead it was sad. Moronically sad.

Not enjoyable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah.