Kevin's Reviews > Ashen Winter

Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin

Sep 19, 12

bookshelves: first-reads-arc, reviewed
Read from June 18 to 26, 2012

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

First can I just say, that I'm pretty sure the main characters of this book, a.k.a Darla and Alex, could literally get run over by a semi, dragged into a gator tank, and then shot at least five times and still live to tell the tale. Actually, not only live, but be back on their feet running a new mission in less than a day....without the medical supplies to properly heal. My goodness do they have durable bodies.

I surprisingly really enjoyed the first book of this series Ashfall so I had been looking forward to reading Ashen Winter as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I don't feel this book lived up to what the first was able to do. I don't believe most of the problems were because of the author in any shape or form, but the fact that there is ONLY so much people can attempt to survive during the aftermath of a volcanic eruption.

At the end of the Ashfall, (view spoiler)

It just seemed like some of the same old same old. Run from people eating other people there, get supplies from a random person here, build a fire there...I was just done reading about the same processes over and over again.

It didn't help that Mullin took away one of my favorite parts of the first book being, Alex and Darla's relationship for a good portion of the book. (view spoiler) Without their relationship, and added with the meager attempt to infuse a mini love triangle, it was hard to keep interest in anything personal to the characters.

I'm not sure there was much more Mullin could attempt to do with this book, but the fact that it was nearly 600 pages of the same old same, really dragged on me. I was bored half way through, and really had to force myself to finish many of the parts later in the book. I mean, the book was some 85 chapters! That is just obscene for a book as similar to the first one as this was.

With all that being said, there were parts that I really enjoyed. I loved how (view spoiler) I also loved the character of Ben. Ben, who is autistic, new pretty much no everything about anything military or tactical related. He was just a person you really cheered for amongst all the crazy things happening in their world. It's just hard for me to believe that the government would suck this bad at an attempt at a rebuilding effort. I kept thinking at parts where Black Lake or the government were mentioned, how things would never be handled as poorly as they were throughout both books.

Overall, not as good as first, and their were some blaring problems, but I still enjoyed certain aspects of the survival tale.

P.S I'm still afraid of cannibals. Madness I tell you.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashen Winter.

06/19/2012 page 105
06/19/2012 page 142
25.0% "this whole everything that could happen bad, does technique is getting a little old for me. this is going to be a long book if it continues..."
06/25/2012 page 370
64.0% "This book is taking me far too long to read...especially when i have books waiting for my attention."
06/26/2012 page 461
80.0% "stretch run...and things are finally getting interesting."
show 3 hidden updates…