Zann's Reviews > Follow My Lead: What Training My Dogs Taught Me about Life, Love, and Happiness

Follow My Lead by Carol  Quinn

May 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: biographical

I have a Rhodesian of my own, so I loved all the photos as well as the descriptions of the dogs and their personalities. I did find a contradiction within the text though. I would imagine if you're recounting events which actually happened, then you wouldn't offer two completely different versions of a particular event. For example...on page 52, the author describes the events which led up to her acquiring her dog, Zoe. (The condensed version is that she found this dog on the street, wandering in traffic. She opened her car door, the dog jumped in, no ID. This is how she acquired Zoe). But on page 154, the author says Zoe had been abandoned as a puppy and left in a shoe box. That just doesn't jibe with the previous events described. Hmmm.....so which is it, tiny puppy in a shoebox or dog wandering the street?

Toward the end of the book the author comments that she doesn't mind when her dogs jump on people. Ah...I don't think allowing 70 or 80 pound dogs to jump on people is a good idea. The author seemed so very responsible when it came to training her dog's for agility, that it surprised me she would allow such a thing.

One last comment...the dog trainer seemed kind of erratic in her behavior at times, and the way she severed her connection of several years with the author seemed rather unprofessional. Otherwise, I found the book to be engaging from beginning to end. The author's personal life is woven in with the dog agility lessons in a really nice way so that parallels between what the dogs are learning and what the author is learning about herself is revealed. There were many instances where the author described circumstances or events which I've either been through myself, or been frightened might happen to me. I really identified with the author in those moments.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Follow My Lead.

05/10 marked as: read

Carol Quinn I just saw this and thought I'd clear up the Zoe question. I found her wandering in the street. Her previous owner got her from a shelter where she had ended up because someone found her abandoned in a shoe box. After Zoe jumped into my car, I tracked down the owner who actually lived down the canyon from us. He told me her story, but he didn't want her back because she kept running away. So, she stayed with us. Sorry that wasn't made clear enough. Best! Carol

Zann Thanks Carol! That just didn't mesh for me, but now that you've explained it I understand.